Monday, June 8, 2015

Culture Shock



Granada so far has presented me with many great opportunities to experience new things and to keep my mind open to trying anything that comes my way. While there were times when me and Ryan have gotten lost in our journeys around the city there hasn't been a time when I have felt uncomfortable or in danger in any way. There have been times when I have felt at home though. For example, I feel very comfortable in the classroom. I don't sense much of a difference between my Spanish class at Loyola and my Spanish class here in Granada. Both of the teachers are very nice and do a good job at explaining things that I don't understand and always take time for questions and clarification. After reading the article about culture shock I realized I have actually experienced the first two steps of adjusting to culture shock. I definitely experienced euphoria when I arrived in Granada and it lasted for about a week. I felt excited about everything and was willing to try everything but I definitely felt the irritation and hostility kick in when the euphoria wore off. I look at this transition of steps as a good thing because I realize that I have started to grow into the culture and that I am no longer the “new kid” on the block. I know my way around the city for the most part and I feel comfortable in the Granada lifestyle. When experiencing the euphoric state of being in a new country, continent, and culture I felt like I was in a fantasyland that would only be for a short time. Once that state wore off reality set in and I knew it was time to get down to work and embrace all that was going on around me no matter how different and new things were to me. Two differences that I have noticed between Granada and New York are: 1) People walk very slowly in Granada compared to New York and 2) People are not very friendly on the streets. In New York or on Long Island if you pass someone on the sidewalk you usually smile at each other or say “Hi” or “How are you?” but in Granada the people don’t even crack a smile back at you. I understand that I am in a different country but that shouldn’t make the people that live there different. Each day that goes by I am learning more about the city and adjusting to life in Europe. It is difficult at times but it also a good challenge. This challenge improves both my Spanish speaking skills and also my people skills, which will greatly benefit me when I return to the United States.   

No comments:

Post a Comment