Monday, June 15, 2015

Stereotypes: Spain vs America


When I think of Spain I think of soccer. A stereotype I would associate with Spain is that everyone plays soccer and that you will see a form of it everywhere you go whether it is a game, practice, or just kicking the ball around in the street. After living in Spain for two weeks I have found that surprisingly this is not the case. I have actually seen very little soccer being played besides the games that are being televised. Another stereotype (that I may have made up myself) is that Spaniards and Mexicans are very similar. Having vacationed in Mexico and living in Spain I have found that this is certainly not the truth and that, in fact, they are very different. For example, the food is much different that I had originally thought. There are no burritos or tacos, or fast food chains like Chipotle, Moe’s, and Taco Bell. Spaniards take great pride in their food and focus on all natural, freshly grown crops to be their main course at meals. The food is very healthy which is a refreshing change from the food in America. While Americans may have stereotypes about Spain, Spaniards also have stereotypes about America and Americans.  When I asked my host mother Belen and my lingual partner Pablo what stereotypes they may have of America are I was surprised at some of the things they said and I was interested at why they may have this image of America. One of the stereotypes that stuck out most to me was the idea that everyone in America carries a weapon. This was surprising to me. I understand that there is unfortunately a lot of crime and violence associated with weapons but I do not believe that weapons are commonplace in households in America. Another stereotype about America is that the food is not very healthy which leads to people becoming obese. I agree that unhealthy food is prevalent in America but I also believe that it is the person’s decision to eat this food. The pace at which Americans live is one cause for fast food and this is how America gets a bad name when it comes to food. A last stereotype I heard was that Americans are very proud of their country and they love expressing to others around them that they are from America. Being from America we think of ourselves as the best at everything and as a result we voice this pride more than other countries may. I liked hearing their opinions and their viewpoints of what people who live in other parts of the world think of the place we live. These stereotypes were a little bit eye opening for me. They made me get a better understanding of what other countries views of America are. It is tough to truly judge the country you live in and your everyday lifestyle. Both the stereotypes of Spain and the stereotypes of America have taught me a lot about my both my temporary and my permanent home. It is interesting how much your views of a place change when you finally visit it and see what the culture and lifestyle are like and how the people that live in the country differ based on the culture around them.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent reflections, Rich. I agree that it is tough to judge your culture and your lifestyle until you see it from an outsider's perspective. Gaining perspective and opening our minds are some of the most valuable aspects of studying abroad.

    ReplyDelete